The Urban Studies Foundation (USF) was founded in 2008. We are a charitable company, regulated by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) and run by a board of eleven Trustees.
The USF’s wholly owned subsidiary Urban Studies Journal Limited (USJ) generates income by publishing an academic journal in the field of urban studies. USJ donates profits arising from this activity to the USF. Using gifted monies from the USJ, the USF strives to support institutions and individuals engaged in the advancement of postgraduate academic research and education, principally through grant funding schemes. Our main objectives are:
- To advance academic research and education in the field of urban studies;
- To promote knowledge transfer, exchange and mobilisation in the field of urban studies
We realise these objectives primarily by provide significant grant funding and support to individuals and institutions engaged in the advancement of postgraduate academic research and education through our current core grant-funding streams:
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
- International Fellowships (for early to mid-career urban scholars from the Global South)
- Seminar Series competition
Please note that we do not respond to ad-hoc funding requests. All of our funding is currently awarded through our core funding streams, though this may be subject to change as we develop new funding streams.