The deadline for applications to this award has now closed. Any new rounds of funding will be announced in mid-2021. Please check back soon, join our mailing list (see bottom of page), or follow us on Twitter @USForg for announcements.
Applications are invited for up to five early-career Postdoctoral Research Fellowships. These awards are intended to enable the Fellows to design and undertake a programme of up to three years dedicated Urban Studies research at any eligible institution of higher education across the globe. This programme should involve original empirical inquiry, methodological rigour and conceptual innovation, set within a detailed knowledge of relevant existing research and scholarship. The expectation is that a Fellow will publish outputs from this research in the international Urban Studies (and cognate) literature, as well as taking seriously possibilities for achieving impact beyond the academy.
All awards are fully-funded by the Urban Studies Foundation; and according to our aims and objectives to advance academic research, education, and knowledge mobilisation in the field of urban studies.
Eligibility: Applicants must have obtained a PhD within the preceding five years and they must be demonstrably involved in Urban Studies research, with a credible programme of future Urban Studies research and scholarship.
Requirements: Applicants must have developed their application in close association with a mentor from the potential host institution, and the application form requires input from the applicant, the mentor and the host institution.
Terms: The Urban Studies Foundation will undertake to pay an annual award to the host institution of successful applicants, which should meet both the salary agreed between the applicant and the host institution and additional research expenses.
Submission: Completed applications must be submitted electronically to Joe Shaw at email@example.com no later than 21st October 2019. The application must include:
- Completed application form: a MS Word version of this application form will be available on the USF website, containing a number of fields to be completed by the applicant, by the mentor and by the proposed host institution.
- Outline of proposed programme of Urban Studies research to be undertaken by the Fellow: the applicant should elaborate on their contribution and commitment to Urban Studies, and provide details of their proposed research programme.
- 3-page CV listing academic achievements and publications.
- Copy of PhD award letter or some equivalent document that can confirm the veracity and date of the applicant’s PhD award.
- Two academic references: if shortlisted for interview, it will be the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that their two referees (at least one of whom should have acted as their PhD supervisor) are prepared to send blind letters of recommendation to the USF (if requested) by 29th November 2019.
In addition, all applicants will be requested to voluntarily complete an anonymous Equality & Diversity Monitoring Form after they have submitted their application. The form will be requested from all applicants after the deadline has passed. This form and any information volunteered with it is not used in the assessment process and will be separated from individual applications. It is only used for monitoring who applies to USF awards on aggregate, so that the USF may regularly assess and improve how it advertises and administers its grant funding.
Applicants seeking clarifications regarding the terms of this award should consult the Further Particulars documentation and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) in the first instance. If further clarification or discussion is required please contact Joe Shaw, USF Director of Operations, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further particulars and the application form for this award can be downloaded below.